Cons of Union Mergers for Two Unions Discussion
DO ONLY 3 QUESTIONS
ONLY USE TEXT BOOK INFORMATION.
At the end of Chapter 5, answer the Reflection Questions on page 180:
- Of the union strategies in Table 5.1, which ones do you think are best for the 21st-century world of work? Are some of the strategies always better, or does this depend on the environment?
- Describe the pros and cons of union mergers for (a) two unions that represent workers in the same industry, and (b) two unions that represent workers in different industries. Should U.S. law encourage, discourage, or remain neutral on union mergers?
- There is longstanding debate over “American exceptionalism”—the extent to which the low levels of support for unionization and a socialist movement make the United States unique among industrialized, democratic countries. There might also be a management side: American management has been exceptionally antiunion compared to managers in other countries. Why do you think this is?
- It is almost universally accepted that labor unions, but not companies, must be democratic. Why is there this dichotomy? What does this dichotomy imply about the organizational structures and sources of power for labor unions and for corporations?
- Employees might respond to workplace injustice in one of five ways: quitting, individual voice (such as complaining), collective voice (including forming a union), resistance (including work withdrawal such as absenteeism, reduced work effort, and work avoidance, or perhaps even sabotage), and silence. How might union strategies, managerial strategies, and the external environment shape which response an individual worker chooses? What else might affect whether workplace injustice causes an individual to support a labor union over the other options for dealing with injustice?
Myessaydoer’s team of experts is available 24/7 to assist you in completing such tasks. We assure you of a well written and plagiarism free paper. Place your order at myessaydoer.com by clicking on the ORDER NOW option and get a 20% discount on your first assignment.