Remember that a good essay has a strong, clear, focused thesis statement. Is your thesis clear, specific, focused? In the last two units we worked on Developing Ideas and Supporting Ideas. Are you adding information/developing your ideas in each body paragraph? Is there supporting research/information for your ideas? Do you integrate your sources smoothly? Continue working on commenting on quotations/references. Now, in this last unit we are working on connecting paragraphs to the thesis and the Process Write builds on that work.
1. Identify the Thesis Statement. Does it need revision? How/why would you revise the thesis?
2. Identify how “body” paragraphs number 1, 2, and 3 DEVELOP AND SUPPORT the thesis. Be specific. Highlight or underline the specific sentences that provide information and develop and support the thesis. Body paragraphs are NOT the introduction.
3. Do you integrate your quotations/references smoothly into your prose? Do you comment on your quotations/references?
4. What specific words or phrases in each body paragraph connect it to the thesis?
5. Write down each area that you think you might revise AND explain WHY you think it needs revision AND state HOW you will revise it.