Before you begin this assignment, please be sure you have viewed the lectures on “Rights and Civil Rights” and “The War in Vietnam.”
Please read this comic created by the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, Vietnam
There is no page length for this assignment. Our expectation is that these assignments should be approximately 1.5-2 pages long. However, there is no penalty if the response does not correspond to this length.
Questions to be answered:
- How does SNCC justify its opposition to the Vietnam War? What arguments does the comic make to persuade the reader to oppose the war? What does the comic ask the reader to do?
- How does the comic position the war as a civil rights issue?
- Please address the relationship between the text and the images in the comic by analyzing one page of the comic. How do the images enhance, reinforce, complement, and/or undermine what is written in the text? What role do the images play?
- Who do you think is the imagined reader or intended audience of this comic? Why? How does the comic signal its intended audience?
This assignment will be graded according to the following criteria:
- Does the assignment address all the questions posed?
- Does the assignment demonstrate a close, careful, and thoughtful interpretation of the primary source?
- Does the assignment demonstrate a strong familiarity with course topics and themes?
- Are all the claims made in the assignment accurate?
- Does the assignment make sense? Are the ideas within it communicated clearly?